Emily’s Birthday Celebrations – You’re invited!
#Emilymatters is a social media campaign to support and advance gender equality, particularly focusing on the importance of voting. See our #Emilymatters page to find out more about what we do.
Next month we’ll be celebrating suffragette Emily Davison’s birthday, who is the Emily of #Emilymatters and we’d love you to join us! Make sure you get your invitation by clicking on Emily’s birthday cake in this blog.
Emily Davison was born in 1872 on 11th October, a date which she now shares with the UN’s International Day of the Girl, so it’s an ideal time to have your feminist cake and eat it, whilst celebrating Emily’s important legacy and that of all who champion equality and voting matters, from the past and present.
We were thrilled with the response to our birthday tea for Emily last year, which included a world’s first when we played the suffragette board game Pank-a-Squith on Periscope. And we’re planning to make our celebrations even more creative and interactive this time!
We’ve come a long way since Emily Davison and her sister suffragettes fought for us, future generations, to have the right to vote, to be equal. Help us do Emily proud and celebrate in style!
Sunday 9th October 2016:
We’ll be holding a special party on the afternoon of Sunday 9th October & you can join us live via social media:
- Send us a photo of your cake (baked/bought) and a cuppa including ‘Happy Birthday Emily!‘ in your tweet/post
- Make Emily a birthday card using the suffragette colours of Purple, White and Green*
- Tell us why voting matters to you or make a pledge to do something positive for others on Emily’s birthday
- Test your suffragette knowledge with our Votes For Women! Quiz.
* Purple, White and Green were the suffragette colours. There is some discussion about the meaning of the colours, including ‘Give Women the Vote’. However, the original meaning for each colour was as follows: purple for dignity, white for purity and green for hope.
Tuesday 11th October 2016:
We will share your messages and birthday wishes over social media, including a special #Emilymatters collage sending out a message of hope on International Day of the Girl.
- Take part in our Twitter Chat at 7.oopm (BST)
- We’ll be reflecting on the progress made and discuss the challenges that Emily and her sister suffragettes might be urging us all to take on today.
There are 2 chances to win suffragette themed prizes:
- sign up to make sure you hear first about our future creative projects, by clicking on the birthday cake below
- take part in our Votes For Women! Quiz on Sunday 9th October.
Like Emily Davison herself, we believe in social justice and equality worldwide, not just the right to vote. See our #Emilymatters page to find out more about what we do.
Social media is a key part of our campaign. The suffragettes embraced the modern media of their age, so had they been around today, would have been all over the Twittersphere, etc.
In addition to our online events, we are also developing #Emilymatters outreach and creative projects that include interactive performances, talks, speeches and my Emily Davison play To Freedom’s Cause, which remains at the heart of the #Emilymatters campaign.
If you’d like to be the first to hear what we’ve got planned and be in with a chance of winning a suffragette themed prize, just click on the birthday cake!
And follow us on social media:
Actor & Writer of Emily Wilding Davison play To Freedom’s Cause
More about @Emilymatters:
- A social media campaign
- Includes my Emily Davison play ‘To Freedom’s Cause‘
- Supports & advances gender equality
- Particular focus on #Votingmatters for young people & women
- Go to: bit.ly/Emilymatters