#Emilymatters is a social media campaign, inspired by suffragette Emily Davison, that champions gender equality and has a specific focus on voting matters.
See our #Emilymatters page to find out more about what we do.
#EU Ref – Make Your Voice Heard!
THANK YOU to everyone who joined our #EURef Register to Vote ThunderClap on Saturday 4th June 2016.
In order to vote on June 23rd, you must register by 7 June 2016.
Too many young people choose not to use their hard won right to vote, their birthright.
You helped us to ensure the Voting Matters message went viral!
The 4th June is the anniversary of suffragette Emily Davison’s brave Votes For Women protest at the 1913 Epsom Derby, so with your help our Thunderclap promoted this vital message across social media and encouraged more young people to register to vote on that historic day.
? Make your voice heard on June 23rd!
For information about who can vote, how to register as well as information about the Remain and Leave campaigns, we recommend:
Team #Emilymatters is working on some innovative new projects, which will include my Emily Davison play To Freedom’s Cause that was the catalyst for the #Emilymatters campaign and remains at its heart.
Our Thunderclap has now ended, but there is still time to register to vote!
We are looking to work with people who are passionately believe that equality and democracy matter.
Let’s do Emily and her sister suffragettes proud and ensure that young people’s voices are heard!
Step Up | Vote | Lead
Background Information about our
‘Make Your Voice Heard!’ Thunderclap
What is a Thunderclap?
- Thunderclap is a website that allows people to sign up to tweet or Facebook a message at a specific date and time.
- Our #EU Ref: Make Your Voice Heard Thunderclap will go out at 6.00pm on Saturday 4th June, the day of suffragette Emily Davison’s 1913 ‘Votes For Women’ Derby protest.
- We need at least 100 people to sign up to our urgent register to vote message for it to be mass-shared on 4th June.
- Sharing the Thunderclap link once you have pledged to support is the best way to ensure that we get enough people to highlight how vital it is to register to vote by 7th June.
Why do a Thunderclap?
- Social media is one of the best places to reach potential young voters.
- Emily Davison and her suffragette sisters were highly creative and made use of the new media of their day to promote their important Votes For Women campaigns.
- This is our first Thunderclap and given that 1.5 million 18-24 year olds have yet to register to vote, this seemed like an excellent way to help spread the word.
- The #Emilymatters Thunderclap pays tribute to Emily Davison, whilst offering direct links to register and impartial information on both campaigns.
How to support this important message on Thunderclap
- Firstly click on the #Emilymatters Thunderclap link
- In order to pledge your support, you need to click one of the buttons on the #Emilymatters Thunderclap page.
- Once you have pledged your support, please share the link on social media to help us ensure that the Thunderclap happens.
Here is a screenshot of the page. There are 3 options:
We did it! Thank you to everyone who got involved and proved that Voting Matters.
Make sure you are eligible to have your say at the EU Referendum on June 23rd 2016!